Tips to Organize a Storage Unit for Easy Accessibility
So it’s a beautiful sunny day and suddenly a storm came out of nowhere. The cold breeze of the wind paired with the raging downpour of rain really put temperature levels at their lowest. So you run into your storage unit to get some cozy sweaters and the like. But minutes later, you just can’t remember where you placed them, and the last thing you’ll find is yourself ragingly opening all the boxes with no avail.
The frustration of an unorganized storage unit can really put your rage into its highest. Luckily, you’re here in this article today. Below, we’re going to talk about organizing your storage unit for easy access. Take time to read these nine simple tips to help you organize your storage with ease.
Keep Box Sizes the Same for Most Items
- Storing your frequently used items on same-sized boxes helps you to find them for later use. Large boxes are surprisingly perfect for light items. But don’t place them at the bottom in case you put your boxes into stacks or you’ll be having a hard time removing them just in case you need something out of it.
Sort Your Items
- Sorting your items according to how you frequently use them is important so that you can access them easily just in case you need them. Listed below are some items that you might be using a lot:
- Winter/Summer clothing
- Kids Toys (It’s better to create a separate box for this)
- Office Documents (definitely important!)
- Trip Essentials (tents, sleeping bags, sleds, cookout utensils, etc.)
- Holiday items (decorations, costumes, bakeware)
Put a Label on Each Box
- Labeling your boxes lets you identify if this item belongs to this box or that. Take time to label your box. Put the room where it came from, and the contents inside it. You can also label a special mark on a box filled with items you use frequently. The more detail you put, the easier you’ll find them in case you need it.
Make a Master Content List
- A book comes with a table of contents section to help you out about pages. The same applies to storing items inside these boxes. It may be a daunting task to do but at least it’ll help you find your items easier. Create a master list and jot down all items that are inside each box.
Plan an Organized Layout for Storing Items
- How you organize all those boxes inside your storage unit is the key to finding your items much easier. That said, if you’re a person who frequently accesses your storage unit, then organize them the way you want it. Saves you hassle and space of having a disorganized storage space.
Upgrade to a Larger Unit
- Considering you have a lot of items to store, then upgrading to a larger unit is the best thing you can do. Having extra space gives you more room for shelving even more items that you don’t want to display on your room anymore. You can also install wooden or plastic pallets on your storage unit’s flooring to protect furniture, appliances, and of course, boxes from spills or crawling insects/rodents.
- Follow this guide down below on how to place sturdy shelves on your storage unit’s walls or how to stack boxes more efficiently.
- Stack boxes according to your need. Most used items come in front while those you don’t need much will be placed in the back.
- Heavier boxes should be put down first, followed by moderate to light items as you stack them. Don’t over stack them too high because the higher the stack, the more chances it will stumble down and fall, creating a mess and might break items that are inside.
- Use the brick-wall pattern when stacking same sized boxes. This pattern allows you to remove and replace boxes with ease without the need of moving the boxes above it.
Draw a Map of Your Belongings
- Creating a map of your belongings helps you find them easier without getting lost. This is essential especially those items that are buried beneath the box. You don’t need to put too much detail into it and a simple hand-drawn sketch will do.
Unpack If Needed
- So you’re done packing all your items inside those boxes, and then suddenly, you look around and see that there are still more of them that are left behind. The frustration starts to build up again just thinking about unpacking them AGAIN. But hey! Don’t be afraid of unpacking boxes just to put those leftover items in their designated places. You don’t want to leave them on the ground right? It’s important that these items to be stored in their appropriate boxes so you won’t have trouble finding them if you need it.